I have learned that the people most sensitive to this subject are usually the ones who do not pull permits.
Also as varied the areas the different posters are from, so are the requirements.
I like what John and Harold both said, as I fully agree.

In NY State, there are jurisdictions that do require licenses, and others that don't.
Requirements for inspection include work that is new, such as additions, adding a circuit, etc... Replacing a fixture, switch or receptacle falls under maintenance and does not require a permit or licensed electrician.

Some people will say things that are from the hip, or not necessarily true - but 'knowing' the laws are more important than shooting from the hip.
Here is the requirement for all of NY State, except for NYC. (for any residential work performed)

"R101.2 Scope. The provisions of this code shall apply to the construction, alteration, movement, enlargement, replacement, repair, equipment, use and occupancy, location, removal and demolition of one-and two- family dwellings and multiple single-family dwellings (townhouses) not more than three stories in height with a separate means of egress and their accessory structures and one-family dwellings converted to a bed and breakfast."

It still staggers my mind that in an industry that is so important as ours, that there are so few regulations in large portions of our great country!!

Pierre

Pierre Belarge