OK, a wide geographical area seems to be covered. Eagle is on the west coast, LK & me are on the east side, & I think John S is in the southwest.

Here in NJ:
"Repairs" do not require a permit. "Repairs" mean replacement of "like for like" basically.

Permits go to homeowners of single family homes that they live in, and can only be "assisted" by a relative that resides within the same home. (The ideal situation)
Capability is a judgement call (gamble) by the AHJ that is doing the Plan review and Permit Approval. It is a very time consuming task doing HO, self, owner, etc permits.

Working without can get a max $2000 fine, per trade. Usually I issue $500, unless it's a previous offender. The State frowns on unlicensed "sparkies" and the fine, if caught can be $5 to 10K, and a snowballs chance in hell of applying or getting a lic.

Now, does everyone get a permit, for everything that requires one, all the time??

Personally, I think that anyone who says "yes" may be telling a tall tale. That is my opinion, and not directed at anyone.

BTW, for those that do not know me, I'm a PT AHJ, and also an EC in NJ.

John

John