That's not an accepted procedure. If you do that with CAT5 on up I can guarantee you that it will not pass certification.

That aside, it worked for you because most applications very seldom rely on the maximum speed a network is capable of providing. Try simply pigtailing the conductors without even attempting to maintain any twist. You probably won't see a difference between that and an unspliced cable.

In a sense I agree with you as this is the basis for my objection to the never ending introduction of faster and faster cables- I question whether they are even needed. But I have to disagree with your method of splicing simply because it is not an accepted method and God help anybody that comes along after the fact looking for a problem. This is like splicing NM in mid run and just taping it up!

A better way but still not correct is to press a RJ-45 plug on one end and punch down a jack module on the other then connect them together. At least that has a chance of preserving the characteristics of the cable.

If you have lots of room there are 110 and 66 punch down blocks that could be used.

Nobody want's to hear it but the correct way is to replace the run.

-Hal