It turns out that the quad cable is what was installed in the house -- I've never seen anything like this previously. The cable assembly contains 4 cables -- 2 6-conductor telephone cables (RJ-6, correct?) and 2 cable TV cables. The whole thing is wrapped in a sheeth similar to what you would find on NM cable (Romex type cable). The sheeth is a greenish color. When you first look at it, you swear your looking at 2-3 NM cable, real hefty looking. What gives the cable assembly away is that the manufacturer labeled the cable as "quad cable blah blah blah assembly". What's even more dangerous is that the cable assembly run to the AC unit in the home where I ran into this cable looks like a 2 pair CATV cable assembly -- I darn near cut through that except the word assume (ass-u-me) came to mind and I dug through the 18 inches of blown in insulation a bit more only to find this funky green cable that I described previously. To let you know, this home is a 3000 foot monster with all the latest gadgets built within the last 3 months. The great thing about this trade is that its constantly changing out there and you certainly can't get stagnant. Anyhow, thanks for all the tips to this point. -- steve