Originally posted by johnd24:
im an electrical contractor in ohio.Deregulation went into effect the first of the year.so our local power company..Ohio Edison sent all contractors a letter saying"Because distrubution comp. now only provide a portion of customers service,they receive only the distrubution portion of customers bills.They do not cover the expense of services requested by customers.This would include service calls requiring line crews to disconnect and reconnect electric service in order to accomodate contractors doing work at a home or bussiness,i.e. service revamps,dropping a service for tree removal,service for siding jobs,open and close pad mount transformers,etc.Since the cost of these services is not included in our tarrifs,additional costs are required.They will charge customers $200 for disconnecting/reconnecting services.This cost is based on the ability of the customer/contractor to schedule this work with 4 working days notice.Same day notice will be billed at $300.Is this what you guys have to do to get a revamp done in your area?

I got the same letter from Ohio Edison, and you know to start off, when they call you by your first name the news is not good.
I did a 200 A revamp/reconnect last month, and wanted to have OE put a pole in so got hold of their engineering depart and met the engineer on site, the shortest run was 134 feet and that went over top of a flat roofed trailer to attach the service to the garage, so I suggested planting a pole on the other side of the driveway he said well that would be ok but, $1500. for the pole, and another 500 to bring the tri-plex to the pole and 200. to connect. So took the easy way out and put the mast up 8 feet abovt the trailor roof, but this is getting rediculous.
After I got my letter I called Ohio Edison, and talked to the person who sent me the letter, and they said, some customer took out a loan to buy a pre-manufactured home, loan was 45,000.00 and in order for OE to hook her up it would be 3000.00 up front, sad part is she was tapped out at the bank, so here she has a new home with no electric, this is crazy.