Originally posted by Bill Addiss:
Tom,

Thanks for the explanation of why Insulators might have to be washed. If Seawater is the culprit that explains why someone inland would not see it done. I wonder if they do it on the East Coast.

I remember from School that pure H2O is actually a great insulator but should not be confused with the "Water" we all know on a daily basis.

Bordew,

Does a Balanced PH always mean that it is a poor conductor of Electricity? I mean, if something is added to water to balance the PH the impurities are still there (Right?)Does the balance itself make the water a poor conductor?

Bill

Just to prove again to myself, I took glass and a temp-light pigtail and tapped one lead into a large glass, then one lead from an old extension cord, the two were separated by about 3 inches of air, then I added water until the leads were covered almost instantly the bulb got a very faint glow, this is tap water, then I added some baking soda and of course the bulb got much brighter. after all that I turned it off and tasted it there was no discernable taste of baking soda.
My point was this, this board is accessable by anyone, and would hate to see someone get hurt by believing that water does not conduct electricity.
For example I was making the final connections to a service to Ohio Edisons conductors, Hot of course, this was a few years ago and it was in early November, and I was standing on a ladder orange insulated fiberglass,and it started to sleet you know freezing rain the ladder soon got coated and my gloves wet, this was before I got the rubber ones with the leather protector,and to finish up the last tap I was getting zapped real good.
WAter by itself with a Ph of 7 will not conduct, whether it be minerals or whatever is in the water it will conduct, abeit a medium the current will flow through it. Even distilled water left out will contaminate just the nature of the beast.