karlwayne-
I too am starting a new business-good luck in your new venture. Like you I have taken a long look at being signatory...but i have done some reaearch in my market and going Union is not practical. I will probably need to go NU at least for a couple of years until i get some traction.
We need to keep in mind that "Contracting" is all about contracts! We don't have to sign a contract just the way it is written. Eyeball such things as "Pay if Paid"; Liquidated damages (for late finish); timely notification days; claim procedures, etc. Keep your guard up against ruthless general contrators. Some of them are in the business of taking advantage of major subcontactors and breaking them just so they can make money.
We must remember too that sometimes the loser gets the job! That is if your too low this is generally not a good reason to pop champagne corks. Be able swallow your pride and walk away from a broken bid. Remember too that if your competition numbers more than six the chances are great that you will not make margin or will do the job at a loss.
It becomes really necessary to niche market ourselves. Service work, control work, etc.
We must limit overhead but still hire key people if we want to grow. It is no fun to never have a day off. We must also learn to trust our hired people-They will make mistakes, however if their heart's in the right place the mistake will be a learning experience.
Oh well here we go! Stay in touch.