Hi everyone!!! Como Estas Frijoles? - It's bean awhile since I have talked/typed with you guys [Linked Image]
Got abducted by Aliens [Linked Image]
[well, work Aliens - not outer space hombres] . Finally got a whole weekend off once again!

Got a question to throw at you about Traffic Signal Lamps in your area:
How many Signals have been upgraded in your area to use LEDs? These are just replacements for the A type lamps - similar to a CFL with intregal Ballast [includes a medium base screwshell].

Out here in So. California, many Cities / Counties have been in the process of replacing the typical Incandescent Lamps and Color Gels which are used for Red, Yellow and Green Signals, for LED arrays.

First one I had noticed was used at an Intersection that was under construction, where the Red signal was flashing over a period of 6 months [during the 5 freeway work].
The lamp's on-off characteristics were not the way an Incandescent Lamp would act [the gradual on, decayed off of an Incandescent Lamp] - that was what captured my attention. This was mid 1996.
Checked it out and sure enough this was an array of LEDs, possibly 10mm size.

Around mid 2K [July, 2000] I started to notice a few Intersections here and there with Red LED replacements.
By the beginning of 2001, nearly all Intersections were upgraded with Red LED arrays. Soon after, the first Green ones began popping up. Only have seen 3 Intersections with all 3 colors in LED arrays - nearly all at this time still use an Incandescent for the Yellow signal.

Anyone else noticed them??? - Curious if other States are planning to use them.

Did find some info on-line regarding this, problem is that it I cannot locate that bookmark for a link. I did print the stuff, so when it turns up I'll have the URL for anyone interested.

These LED pin arrays [or matrix if you prefer], are very cool! The Color is solid [typical of LEDs] - Green is GREEN!!!, instead of Blue-Green from the Incandescent/Gel. Yellow is more like an Orange, Red is Ruby-ish, instead of Pink-Red.
They surge into conduction [surge brightly, then stablize] when new. There's no visible Reluctance going on or off - just bam on/off!!!

Some Walk Signals have been changed from the Neon / Fluorescent tubes, to LED arays.
The "Walk" symbol uses White LEDs, whereas the "Don't Walk" symbol uses either Reds or Orange-Reds [like trichips or the tri-lead LEDS].

Like to hear [more like see] your comments and input.

TIA!!!

Scott SET

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!