I'm also an ex-IT guy. I got my Computer Systems Technology diploma (essentially business & programming). Two jobs, 6 months. and countless interviews later I found out the jobs I was qualified for weren't the ones I wanted.

Bailed on IT altogether and worked for an autowrecker for 4 years. By then I was married and had a child on the way. Hmmm.... I better do something carreer-wise - and fast!

Went down to the local IBEW and said,

"I want to be an electrican. Where do I start?"

They wanted transcripts & a resume, had me in for an interview the next week. I simply took the attitude that I'm looking for an honest day's pay for an honest day's work. They put me on their dispatch list. About a month later they had a job placement and an extrance exam for me. Picked up my work card, wrote the test, and left the hall as an indentured IBEW apprentice inside-wireman. They sent me to my new employer's office where I was given orientation, a hardhat, directions to the jobsite, and my foreman's phone number.

Two months later, I received a letter from the Union with a date/time/location for 1st year school at my local vocational institute.

It's been 2-1/2 years since I started. This had been a very satisfying carreer choice for me. My only regret is not having started electrical back in Grade 10 when I first considered it.

BTW: I still get a big laugh from guys on the jobsite when I tell them how I used to get caught sleeping at my desk at the old computer job [Linked Image]