The class I took gave the following tools during, and after completion of the class IIRC:

2 (cheap *ss) screwdrivers
Klein wire tool / pliers
DMM
Craftsman 4-plier set (dikes, slip-joint, channel-lock, needlenose)in safety orange
Linesman pliers (regular kind)
Klein electrician's hammer
100' Klien steel fish tape
electrician's knife
non-solenoid voltage tester
set of 8 Wiha 10Kv insulated srewdrivers (nice!)
Roto-split mc/ac cutter
Craftsman electrician's pouch
25' Stanley Tape measure
1/2" EMT bender (w/o handle)[good call Ryan_J]

As I said, it's just my $.02 - I'm also used to working for small (<5 man) shops, and I inherited a bunch of tools from Dad.

I'll agree that any (corded) power drills or saws should probably be supplied by the company, but what if somebody else grabs the last roll of tape? As the newbie, you'll either get sent to pick up more, or get yelled at for not having any - even if it's not your fault. Better to be the one still working when the discovery is made.

(BTW, if you use your roll of "personal" tape, my foreman will just let me re-stock from the box when the boss brings another box by)

And yes, the company is legally required to provide safety equipment like hard hats & glasses - but having a backup never hurt, and I'd rather show up ready to work than have to wait for the super to scrounge "Parasite Larry's" old tobbacco juice encrusted hard hat out of the gang box or the back of the van.

We all know it's tough (and expensive) as an (-F-N-G-) apprentice to properly outfit yourself with quality tools, but I think we're offering our additions to the "basic kit" Trumpy posted more as advice than requirements.

I'm sure we all carry a lot more than the basic tools nowdays, hmm?