Well, I suppose I'm showing just how old-fashioned I am, but I do not own, nor have I ever owned a cellphone! (Though the idea of a Maxwell Smart shoe-phone did appeal! [Linked Image])

I know a cellphone might be useful for emergencies, but the rest of the time I manage just fine without. Anyone can leave a message on my answering machine and I'll get back to them when I return.

There's one thing about cellular service over here which is very different from North America: The caller pays more per minute for calling a cellular phone (in many plans, quite a lot more than calling a regular landline).

The fact that cellular phones here also have their own "area" codes rather than being just part of the local numbering system makes it easy to spot mobile numbers, and many people just refuse to call them and pay the extra. I've overheard people being given numbers and responding along the lines of "I'm not calling you on that. Give me a proper number."

Mike,
How is cellular operated in NZ? Is it like the U.S.A. or is it British-style caller-pays?

P.S. The phone sitting right next to me is a 2500-type set, with properly designed handset and good old-fashioned real bells!

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 10-11-2003).]