Near 100% of court challenges are in local courts and are arbitrated or decisions are not appealed. That makes it difficult to get transcripts. Some of the items that I am sent are absolutely hilarious. This is a bit of one sent to me by a court intern.
I will paraphrase parts of a discourse between a judge (Alabama) and an AHJ during a hearing several years ago. The case was a challenge by an EC from Nashville, TN to rulings by the AHJ.
AHJ: The code adopted by the county requires a certain standard of installation in the county.
Judge: This code that you refer to was written by county employees?
AHJ: No sir. It was written by a group that is sponsored by insurance companies and adopted by the county.
Judge: Is this insurance company group located in Montgomery?
AHJ: I believe that it is located in Boston, MA.
Judge: Please explain to the court how a group in Boston has unique knowledge of the requirements of _____________ county? (County deleted to protect intern.)
AHJ: They work up a set of standards and it is adopted nearly everywhere in the country.
Judge: Mr. _____, are you telling the court that the requirements for New York City and ___________________ county are the same?
AHJ: The insurance group believes that is true.
Judge: Did any members of this group contact our county officials?
AHJ: I don’t believe so your honor.
Just typical!
Rowdy