Originally posted by Scott35:
Sparky,

I might be able to explain a little on theory that might make some sense. If the following is still questionable, let me know.

An air core Inductor works the same as an Iron core or a ferrite core Inductor. There just is not any highly permable material in the core.

The permability of air is 1.0, where Iron is a lot higher.

The reluctance for air is a lot lower than Iron.

What does this all mean, you might ask?? Well, since the Iron has a high permability and reluctance, it will "collaps" slowly when the power is removed, result is a slowly decaying flux that cuts across the conductors [windings], causing the Inductor to create that Inductive "buck", more than an Air core will.

Air core Inductors are quick decaying, but the trade off is that they are larger than their ferrous counter parts, per Milli Henry [mH]. You will typically see Air core Inductors in speaker system crossovers [passive filters]. I have built many Xovers and spent quite a lot of $$$ on those darn Air core perfect layer Inductors, so it's time to wind my own!! [got two methods to calculate the turns and layers- one is a visual basic script, the other is a common calculus formula].

An Air core Inductor can be placed in series with the supply to "Choke" and lower the Inductive surge.

Scott.

The transfer switch in question is an old zenith, one step switching, do you think that a newer model, say a russ electric two step with a 3 second time delay would help, that way the flux in the transformer has time to decay. It is about time to upgrade the transfer switch. the question is do you think this would eliminate the tripping of the circuit breaker.?????