In reviewing transcripts of several IAEI meetings, local and national, as part of the preliminaries to a possible civil trial I read a comment that really tells the story of closed minds. The comment was “I don’t care if it’s right or wrong, if it’s in the book that’s the way it is.” The gent who uttered this has been presenting seminars (in the southeast) for several years. I shouldn’t be surprised at this as that seems to be the common thread at most seminars, forget common sense, put forth your own interpretation of the code, and be unbending on the subject. I feel that this type of attitude has actually weakened code enforcement in many areas. There are more and more political subdivisions that are modifying the NEC to a great extent due to arbitrary rules that are beyond comprehension by local authorities. What is acceptable in one area may be prohibited in an adjacent county. The NEC needs to be uniformly adopted without local modifications. It would make life much simpler for EC’s who work in various jurisdictions.

Rowdy