Faulty breakers do occur, but if I am reading this correctly, he did say a GE breaker (not that they don't fail). In my experience, I have seen more 'high impedance return fault current paths' than faulty breakers.
As already mentioned in this post, but what seems to virtually be ignored is this type of situation. I also believe that a 'high impedance return fault current path' poses one of the greatest risks for us in the field.

Why? It is basically invisible!!! I also believe there is an increase in this situation for several reasons, installations are getting older, and more people today are performing "electrical installations'who really have not got a clue.

When I am at a job and a ground fault of some kind occurs and it does not trip the overcurrent device, it makes me very nervous for my safety, and anybody else for that matter.
How many times have we seen a loose locknut, screw backed out or missing, a ground splice not made, or the conductor broken under the wirenut? Too many!!!

One last thing....If you read the electrical accident reports, you will see the ages in general are older, I believe this is because we get too comfortable and one day it is going to.....

Be Safe

Pierre

Pierre Belarge