I Went to Navy FT school and that got me a job at IBM in computer hardware. That pretty much ran it's course in the 80s and I got into designing and building computer rooms. I also did the completion inspections for the draws. I was getting pretty used to looking art big commercial installations. Then I crossed paths with Joe Tedesco IAEI road warrior. over a couple years on Prodegy, he pitched his whole road show. Six of us got IAEI certified. I also sat for the SBCCI that became ICC.When Florida started licensing inspectors, I was an early applicant. Because 67 counties and a couple dozen cities had different amendments to the NEC so the state permitted and inspected their own projects. They didn't want to submit 100 different design plans for where something might be built. When the state needed licensed inspectors I bid and eventually won. I was #3, #1 withdrew and #2 never responded. I retired from IBM and took the job of state electrical inspector for 5 counties. I only looked at state projects that were 99% "commercial" so I was pretty happy there. It was always something new and interesting. The equipment and wiring methods were common but the venue was different. Prisons were interesting and I really only had a couple of exciting adventures. DOT weigh/inspection stations are interesting and a toll plaza is fascinating. I had no time pressures on me and travel was the biggest time killer so an extra 20 or 30 minutes talking about the project was OK with everyone. We were all government employees wink
I learned a lot about a lot of things.
The one that caused me to look hardest and spend the most time was when Park Rangers thought they were electricians. You really had to look at everything. It got to the point that it was easier for me to bring them into compliance and teach them the right way.
The strange part of my job is that I really had zero authority. I had to "reason" state employees into compliance. They could always say "Screw you, I ain't doing it" and start a pizzn match between 2 state departments as a contractor. I do believe I never walked away from a hazard.
After Florida finally got a state wide code and the counties were on the same page, that program wound down but it was a great 8 years.

Greg Fretwell