Greg,
I totally agree, any sort of invasive "treatments" for malignant or other such tumours are never that great, they are horrendous!
It's like a situation of cut out tissue that is causing the problem or fill it up with nasty chemicals to see if the cells react to it, all of which has a nasty effect on a human being, either way.

Myself and a good radio ham friend of mine, who is not that much older than me, met up recently, after not having seen one another in about a year or so.
I was shocked at his appearance, he had been having chemo-therapy in hospital and he looked terrible.
He actually apologised for how he looked, I was nearly in tears, not because he looked that way, but because of what the chemo had done to him.
The entire left side of his face had drooped, like he had had a stroke, yet this was not the case, his speech was normal.

The one thing I don't intrinsically understand, is why cancer is now such a prevalent thing, whereas, back in say the 70's, you didn't really hear of people getting or dying from cancer.
Sure people did get brain tumours, but there seems to be so many more forms of cancer that you can get these days, maybe we live in more "enlightened times" with the internet.