Hi,
I'm thinking of doing a panel upgrade to 200 amp service in my house at Toronto. The house was built in the mid-1960’s.
The main reason for the upgrade is safety and I understand that the old panel was designed for just a few circuits. The circuit consists of all the outlets linked on one wire operated by a single fuse or circuit breaker. So, there can be an issue related to the tripping, even when the circuit is overloaded. And this danger can lead to the danger of electrocution and shock.
I have my own reasons for the upgrade to which I am getting different answers from different people. Some say that if we pull the panel, the house needs to be brought up to code with a new build. At the same time some others say that, because it's an old home, the code is not a problem.
There are currently 2 outlets. One guy says two is fine as long as the outlets are grounded, the other is saying I need another outlet. So, I was hoping to contact a licensed electrician from Toronto to clear the confusions. So, I was hoping to get some suggestions or advice related to the matter. Does anyone go through this problem with an older home? Anyone know the rule on the above?