Yup that is what they call a "cassette". It sits in the center of the room and gets piped to the CU. You can duct off of a cassette too. (usually one or two 4" round ducts) I did a lot of research on these mini splits when I was trying to figure out what I wanted. We ended up with a conventional system for most of the house, a mini split in the new room we built and another one in the master.
These in the one we are building are strange beasts. I am going to try to get more information on them tomorrow.

The electricians are meeting us there and I want to see what they want to do about this other mess. The drywall guys pulled the wire down about 6-10" away from where the metal framers built the walls. (the "fire code" ceiling went up first). I hope they can cut a hole, inside the wall cavity, reach up and grab the wire and pull it down but then we are into that fire caulk thing for a giant hole.

This whole project has been a fluster cuck from the start and we dropped in late in the process.

[Linked Image from gfretwell.com]

Greg Fretwell