Originally Posted by HotLine1

Their products ranged from the ‘famous’ Stab-Loc’ CBs, panels, switchgear, fuseable disconnect switches, to transformers (dry type is all I seen) and probably a lot of other items. The ‘Stab-Loc’ logo was also on their line of bolt-on CBs, as well as the ‘lug-lug’ breakers. Their demise was related to the ‘Stab-Loc’ failure to trip, and loss of UL listing. There are still many FPE panels around, they are a favorite item for the Home Inspectors (not AHJs) to write up as “dangerous”, ‘Must be replaced” etc.

Now that makes sense, thanks for the info! The lug - lug MCBs you mention were probably very similar to the DIN rail types in the picture above except for the different mounting.

I suppose most countries had their share of non-trip MCBs. Austria definitely had, I once witnessed a 1961 Schrack MCB repeatedly refusing to trip on a dead short. Luckily an upstream fuse did blow and prevented any serious danger. BTW; I never managed to figure out the exact cause of the short. It occurred in a floor lamp with a US 3-way ES26 socket with a regular (single-filament) ES27 bulb in it, a configuration that had worked fine for several years. After trying and failing to find the fault we disposed of the lamp, all the better considering the exposed screw thread of an ES27 bulb in an ES26 holder combined with non-polarised plugs.