Note sure how to title this one.

I am a small company. It's me and an apprentice doing mostly residential, working 3-4 days a week. We also have a 2 man commercial crew doing close to 35hrs a week. Of course this all varies, if work is there we do more work, if it isn't, we do less.

I'm very comfortable with this setup.

Problem is my commerical guy, (who is a friend and has helped me with the company a lot along the way, especially with commercial work & estimates) is getting older. I think he sees the reality that he can't or shouldn't be out in the field much longer. He has just asked to speak with me about doing sales and estimates and less field work.

We don't really have a sales and estimate department. That's just me! lol.

Again we haven't spoke about this but are meeting early next week. I'm guessing he's going to propose to estimate every job he can get his hands on and make that into his job.

For me this means I have to find a commercial crew leader and establish a new crew. This is happening regardless, employees come and go and this is something I should get use to.

But, what do I do with my older guy? Having him do estimates and sales means I have to come up with a system to pay him. I have no idea of this system.

It also means if it works well I will have to grow the company a bit more, which I'm comfortable how the company is now, but I'm sure there is room to grow. Small is so easy and nice, but then again the potential for more money is nice.

Idk, I guess what's the payment structure for a sales and estimating guy and any other advice?

(I trained to be an electrician not a businessman, I stumble on the latter.)

Shake n Bake