What has happened to our trade?

Just a few years ago, this very forum had nice chats where we discussed the drilling & tapping of bussbars- among other things. I dare say that ours is a construction trade, where we fabricate things on a daily basis. The stuff we get at the parts house is only our raw materials - none would expect it to be the 'finished' product!

I know several folks here have cut, drilled, tapped, bent, cleaned, and otherwise altered bussbars. Many have also had parts fabricated to replace discontinued products.

I don't know the exact circumstances of the OP's situation, so I cannot offer a specific opinion as to where the proposed work is wise. By the time you get your masters' or contractors' license, you're supposed to have some idea as to your own limitations.

"Equipment not evaluated ...."

This is the biggest bit of folderol of all. NOTHING is evaluated as we use it. Period.

For example, I did a lightning system today. Neither the UL-listed wire nor the UL-listed ground rod were ever evaluated by UL for use with the UL-listed Cadweld system. Yet, Cadweld is used successfully millions of times each week.

(I'd say 'look it up,' but UL asserts ownership of their standards, and want you to buy them. Well, we can't have just anyone reading them now, can we? You'll just have to trust me on this one).

We've also seen the silly assertion by UL that male NPT threads are suitable for use with only "certain" NPT female threads. Go figure!