My understanding is that the condition for running 16A through 1.0mm² flex (or 10A through 0.75mm²*) is that it must not be coiled up - which in turn limits the allowed length of the cord to 2m (at least for the IEC 60320 cordsets) (as they know it's inevitable that people will coil up longer cords). But I don't think Australian standards would let you use anything less than 1.5mm² for 15A either; nor am I aware of any IEC C19 cords actually made with 1.0mm² (although C13 and C17 with 0.75mm² are done all the time).

*Well, running the numbers suggests that if 1.0mm² flex can carry 16A under optimal conditions, then 0.75mm² could even do about 13A in the same scenario - although only the British and Danish outlets have that rating, and at least in Britian you're supposed to use 1.25mm² or 1.5mm² for full current.

In Australia 0.75mm² cores seem to be accepted for C13 and C17 cords even longer than 2 metres. Occasionally they even use the equivalent of H03VV-F (light-duty insulated), which I understand is against the IEC's intentions. I've never seen 0.75mm² flex in a ready-made extension cord or power strip here, though...

Anyway, is there any indication of who made that junker? And is it even certified? (Frankly, I'd hope the answer to the latter question is a "no".)