Actually all but the most expensive continental European power strips have no overcurrent protection whatsoever and rely on the MCB/fuse that protects the house wiring. Many also only have 1.0 mm2 flex because flex in free air has a higher ampacity than cable in walls but I think in theory power strips with <1.5 mm2 have been banned in Germany recently.

Some are incredibly cheap. Recently I wanted to use one from the 90s I'd been given for free and it didn't work at all! Turned out the plug pins and socket contact were bare brass and had tarnished enough to keep any current from flowing! I think OVE IEC 60884 actually requires brass to be protected from oxidation but not all manufacturers conformed to the standards. I think this particular one is from a well-known German brand that is said to mostly re-label OEM stuff (although their products are decidedly designed specifically for them rather than generic) and back in the 90s had a reputation for notoriously shoddy extension leads. These frequently ended up on construction sites where the plugs and trailing sockets crushed under the first work boot they met and were then "repaired" with paper masking tape etc.

Proper power strips last for decades, I think the oldest ones I have are from my grandparents and date back to the early 60s.