Originally Posted by Potseal
Alright, I follow that.

My DMM measurements on the secondary show voltage where ideally their shouldn't be. The Weston shows no voltage where, according to what you're saying, there shouldn't be voltage.

So here's the million dollar question - is it possible to suggest that the DMM is simply the wrong meter for measuring voltage on the secondary of an isolated system/isolation transformer. I think more than one of you may have already suggested that earlier with me being slow to catch on.

I'm just trying to nudge you along towards a deeper understanding of things. They mostly fall under the "nice to know", rather than "need to know" heading. I would never suggest that you give up a hi-z DMM for a VOM or a Wiggy. The reason is that you can always make a hi-z lower, while making a lo-z higher, results in much lower readings. You can always toss a power resistor with leads into your meter pouch if you want to load down your measurement. A 50K, 2W resistor across your DMM will yield readings more like a Simpson or Weston, and the difference in the readings gives clues to the source impedance that you're looking into. Just always consider power dissipation in cases like that. A 2W resistor would be fine for a 240 volt system, but not 480V.
Joe