It wasn't that easy.

The story:
A manufacturer of illuminated hanging rods got them UL listed, intending them to be part of store window displays. In no time at all, folks were putting them in their household closets.

This created an issue; UL will not list something that violates the NEC. This is still one of the problems UL has with outlet strips, but that's another discussion.

Yet ... a shirt is a shirt is a shirt. If the light won't ignite it at Macy's, it won't ignite it in your home.

I proposed the NEC allow for fixtures to be allowed closer to clothes if they were cool enough. Yes, there were other proposals. The manufacturer was NOT one of the proposers.

My proposal was flatly rejected. If UL lists it, we'll consider changing the code, said the panel.

Now the topic came alive. The manufacturer came alive. UL quietly told the panel that they had it backwards. Language was adopted that pretty much aped my proposal (specified temperature limit was changed to conform to other UL standards).

Proposal accepted.

Out comes the 'draft' version, and the change is mysteriously absent.

Code is published, and .... there it is!

Finally, out comes the "analysis of changes," explaining the reasons for the change. There was even a picture of an illuminated closet rod. Most amazing, the explanation was taken almost word-for-word from my original proposal.

That's why I claim credit for this particular change.