While you're looking at (3), feel free to send ME a thank-you note!

That provision is the result of a proposal I made for the 05 edition, intended to allow illuminated clothes rods to be used in closets.

I wanted the Code to recognize that UL standards already evaluate surface temperatures of such lights, specifically with the intent of preventing 'contact ignition.' In other words, it's already been tested, and you're NOT going to start a fire with them.

Personally, I can't think I've ever seen a closet where there would be a problem if the light were mounted on the wall, above the doorway. The usual practice of sticking a box in the ceiling is a very poor choice. I expect it has persisted as that box is often also a junction box where circuits separate. In older homes (pre-1950) that box is often the first box from the panel.

Otherwise, get creative. Replace the fixture with a receptacle, plug in some holiday lights (of the 'net' or 'icicle' variety), and fill the closet with a shadow-free glow. Wrap the lights around /above the door frame, and they'll never notice them

More likely - install a recessed can with a 'dropped' shower trim. This will direct the light all over- rather than the usual spot on the floor. Again, with a frosted cover, they'll never notice it's fluorescent or LED.