A dealership I work at occasionaly has an old GE split panel. Some of the Branch breakers are adj-trip. Yesterday and today they were having a problem with one of them tripping. This only happens when it is really hot outside like it has been here in the NE.
The breaker feeds linear and non-linear loads.
I reset the breaker and measured all three phases on that breaker. Pretty even at about 147a the breaker would trip. (200a breaker)
I noticed it had adj trip dials and they were set in between L and H. I turned them to about 3/4, reset the breaker and measured loads again. load went to about 150 and stayed there for the time I was there. (1hr)
I am concerned however because in some of the reading on these breakers I have done is #1 the settings are determined by an engineer based on the application. This application is definitely not original. Other thing I have read is a study should be performed to determine correct settings. I feel the breaker should be simply replaced with non adj trip. I am concerned about a fire. Opinions please!