Hello all, new member.

I work with low voltage, FOH Audio, Video, and build Computers and Networks. I'm surrounded by Electrical Engineers who I bounce unusual situations off but this one has everyone baffled.

Recently moved to a new house. During tour of house, I failed to notice that the power outlets were mostly 2 prong. The house I was living in before had 3 prong outlets, although they weren't acting as a ground they were just replaced by someone prior.

After moving in, I set up my home office. I have a 1300 Watt APC UPS plugged into a 2 prong to 3 prong adapter and I screwed the center screw around the metal tab on the adapter. Plugged in my PC to the UPS and all worked fine.

I left the room, came back and dead computer. Diagnosed what had died and identified the power supply, motherboard, 1 set of triple buffer ram, external blu-ray drive. Several months later after I RMA'd all those components, an SSD Drive died.

When I was disassembling the computer I noticed that the ground fault indicator light on the UPS wasn't on... Also, it wasn't kicking in when the circuit was tripped by an iron in another room.

I then realized that the UPS's Ground Fault Indicator Light wasn't on. The UPS was getting a ground from the Ethernet, cable Coax, and another PC via a very strange path.

60 Days ago, I received a replacement 1500 Watt UPS. Friday I noticed three short whole house power drops. My PC was fine and protected by the UPS. Saturday, I was in another room when I heard this, "POP, POP, POP!" from my office. I checked and the power supply smelled of electrical fire.

I have a Zinsco Panel in the house and contacted an Electrical Contractor and was told it will only get worse. The landlord can't afford to replace the electrical I fear, but I need to protect what I can for now until my lawyer can resolve this.

Any electricians out there know how my UPS could be bypassed to cause this failure?

Power Company came out and said there was corrosion on the neutral line and they'd replace the connectors but that the problem was on the inside.

Everybody here is stumped and my PC has not been the only casualty.

Thanks for any info, it may be helpful for my attorney and MGMT company.