Originally Posted by Frank DeWitt
Thanks for posting. A couple of questions if I may. In the US we are accustomed to seeing a box set into the wall, Then the switches and outlets mounted in that box, then a cover plate. Is there a box in the pix shown or are they mounted to the wall?

The European verison is done differnt and due the person whom they post the photo is German verison and it is not a huge differnce between my (French ) verison to their verison.

The box as you describing there is two verison of box that we can use for surface or flush mount depending on the set up of that location. Some case both is being used.

Also, the switch and outlet are what we call back stab. (no screws to wrap the wires around.) is that how all outlets and switches are done in Germany?

Normally they are backwired so it means that we use the pressure plate to tighten down the conductor it the same methold you have back over Stateside. Just screw it down and ya are done. oh by the way the common methold to run the conductors is bring it back behind the devices which it is normal for us to do that I am sure the same way as you Stateside guys are.

In another pix showing a wet location junction box it looks like wires are joined by pushing them into some sort of product that takes the place of our "Wire Nut" What is that called?

That what we called them Wago connector they are easy and fast to hook up the conductors. there is couple wet located rated wagos but I don't used them often unless it a direct burial twin et earth ( UF cable )

Thanks.

My reply in bleu and the German regulations is little differnt than France but basically the conductor colour is simauir so let me fill you in real quick.,

Brown - phase conductor
Bleu - Netural
Green/Yellow stripe - earth or ground.

That above is used for monophase useage but triphase colour I am pretty sure it either all brown or black on German side but they can use the IEC colour code as well so I will posted as well

Brown -Phase A
Black - Phase B
Grey - Phase C
Bleu - Neutral

This above is one of few common legit colour so let me post the other one.,

Black - Phase A
Red - Phase B
Brown - Phase C
Netural - Bleu

so that one of the two colours I used the most over here but most are useaing the first one as I posted that is more standarized colour.

I will let other person fill in the correct German colour to make sure they are on right page.

Merci,
Marc

Last edited by frenchelectrican; 11/19/12 06:28 AM.

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)