What direction?

OK, I admit to having hijacked the thread a bit, but I don't apologize.

Nor do I want to dwell too much on my personal quests, save that being on the 'customer' side of the table has opened my eyes.

Commercial or residential? Well, let's back up a bit first ....

There are uncounted times in our business forum where someone says "My bid / contract says repairs by others." Sometimes it seems to be a contest to pass off everything to someone else. We don't want to move furniture, prep, clean up, patch, repair .... If we're the data guys, we even want someone else to run the pipe!

IMO, that's the wrong approach.

The customer wants a completed job. COMPLETE. He wants a light hung, he shouldn't have to get his own ladder to put in the bulbs.

I'm not saying every individual electrician needs to be a framer, painter, rocker, etc. I agree that different folks have different talents. I also recognize that any trade requires a significant investment in tools and materials, and no one can buy or carry everytjing.

I AM saying that every contractor needs to be able to get the entire job done, from start to finish. As a customer, I care not whether the hole is patched by Joe's Electric or Sam's Drywall; I DO expect the job to be done when Joe gives me the bill. Joe needs to learn to patch, hire someone who can patch, or call in Sam.

I admit that customer will often - especially in the case of commercial properties, where they have a maintenance staff on hand - be willing to assume these duties. Especially if it reduces the bill.

I also recognize that 'new construction' is a different set of circumstances.

I just think it's an error to expect every customer to carry our water for us. It might be nice to have a co-operative customer, but I wouldn't base a business model on it.

Another of my 'customer' experiences comes to mind: The window contractors.
None were able / willing to actually INSTALL a new window. All were able to slip a replacement into an existing, finished hole. Nice work if you can get it.
Of the two companies I used, only one took away the trash. The other guy piled it at the curb for the trash man to collect.
The guy who carried off the trash had a 'disposal fee' in his bid, yet his total price was considerably less.

Anyone care to guess which one will get my business for the other half of the house?

OK, that's a trick question. Whoever makes the openings for the new windows will have a real good shot at supplying the windows.

Last edited by renosteinke; 07/18/12 02:58 PM.