Thanks for the reply.

As for the 'unflattering remark' ... well, I should have aimed my barb a bit better. I was referring to the manufacturers of the equipment, not the installers. I am aware that different unions are at work here...

Higher temps? Auto ignition? CO2?

I'm actually more familiar with the older Halon and dry chemical systems as installed ... CO2 seems to have fallen from favor, though the systems are still made and installed.

I'm all in favor of inventing better products; I disagree with the marketing decision that denies folks the parts needed to maintain an existing system.

OK, with Halon we had the EPA act ... but there was no governmental action behind the switch to the "K" system.

A foam, eh? Interesting. The use of foam is nothing new, and I wonder how the "K" stuff differs from AFFF.

The fire test for "B" type agents (foams, dry chemmical, etc.) involved putting out a flaming pan of heptane (similar in weight to gasoline). That's pretty hot, and the stuff ignites pretty easily. That there is a new rathing, "K", suggests to me that there is a different test. I'd be interested in learning about that test.