Originally Posted by renosteinke
Well, I'll give you points for being observant and thorough!

I think ... (siren sounds, and a robot voice warns 'Danger! Will Robinson! Danger!) ... the ignorance and confusion on the hood issue is quite deliberate.

[color:#FF0000]#3) Look at who sells the systems: the same folks who do sprinkler systems.[/color] [color:#FF0000]#1)In both instances, the manufacturers have done their utmost to force customers to use not only their complete systems, but also their design services. [color:#FF0000]#1A) They went so far as to 'obsolete' a perfectly fine extinguishing agent in favor of a new one that, amazingly, requires a new system be installed.[/color][/color]

[color:#FF0000]#2) These protected sales arrangements make it easy to pass off details of your system as 'code requirements,' when such is not the case. Far too often, the 'expertise' of the installer is limited to just one brand and model of equipment.[/color]

[color:#FF0000] #4)I have something of a unique insight into this topic; my first 'real' job was testing various fire and alarm related products for a testing lab. As such, I read an awful lot of the standards, test procedures, and understand the way the system works. There have been a few times where I've had to point out to various 'experts' that the very data and materials they're misunderstanding originated with ....[/color] ME! Or, at least, I was there when the data was generated.

[color:#FF0000]#5) On the electrical forums, we may fuss and cuss over code issues- but the other codes seem to get a free pass. I'm really disappointed at some of the ignorance I've seen among "experts."
[/color]

#1) The main reason for this change, was the change in the cooking process.

The industry has changed from animal fat to vegetable oil.
The appliances have also changed.
Due this fact of ingredient/product change, changes needed to be made.

And they were. For the better.

vegetable oil cooks at a much higher temperature, having a greater high auto-ignition potential, and the newer appliances respond to that,. IE: run hotter.

Therefore the change in the chemical was needed.
This was instituted thru testing and real life issues.

Remember the 'Old days'? When CO2 systems were covering the kitchen hoods? Essentially useless.

Back to the "entire system upgrade', this is needed again due the new chemical.
New flow rates and angles of nozzles are important.

This agent works as a foam- covers and smothers.
looks like a moraine covering, and is easily cleaned up with water.

Additionally, we are trained, certified, tested by the State fire Marshall, and re-certified every two(2) years.Distributors of most major suppression MFGRs.

#2) This was instituted by ANSI and UL, No doubt manufactures had some influence, But that is different than the NEC, How?

#3) I find that hard to believe. Sprinkler guys/co. won't touch this stuff.
(personally, I find this comment..... UN-flattering.. Coz I am one. (Did 4 yrs of school and my on job training.(licensed sprinkler fitter) frown )

#4) Nice, I would love to get some more insight on the inner workings of the industry.

#5) Full circle. Funny how life is.

one industry (related) is influenced by manufactures. AFCI ring a bell? Not to mention other electrical code issues. Of course MFGRS have influence.
NFPA- in this end,is only a start. Local AHJ has a big say. To think that MFGRs have no influence, Or the People in the industry are.. Numb. perhaps you have only met the 'Grunts'. All industries have them.
How many 'Licensed' electricians do you know that can only 'plug and switch'? I know many.

PEACE! Thank you for your time. Lee.