back to the OP, the 309A, 309C, 442A & the Master Electrician

In 1992 I wrote & passed the 442A. The exam dealt with code, safety, wiring, the right hardware & connections for the right situations, industrial type electrical & electronics questions. Shortly after passing this exam I gained employment as a plant electrican (loose term). In my job I wired that darn plant from the incoming power, through the panel, to the equipment etc.

I maintained the plant electrics, as well as all the machinery & controls. I did this for 16 years - no trouble or hassle.

I am now retired & want to take the 309C - but thats not possible - so I'm told without jumping through loops

I can, says the ministry with my 442A as does the ECA website which says the same thing, to write & hopefully pass the Master Electrician Exam & paying the fees + covered earlier in this thread.

It all doesn't make sense too me.

I would as retiree like to write the 309C which would allow me to [legally] to do domestic, low rise & house electrician work.

Do I need the 309A - no way do I, since I have no intention of climbing & breaking my back or crawing through tight spaces doing hard graft.

So, does anyone know if the holder of the 442A can [with the acquired up to date knowledge & review] just write the 309C without going back to school or having to get proven construction & maintenance work experience?

I always imagined the 442A was a tougher exam than the 309A - but thats me talking

Appreciate any help on this