renosteinke]
Well, let's look at our past jobs, as well as shows like "Holmes on Homes," for some guidance. Just what need the contract address?

Sure, we can worry forever about ancillary issues like labor disputes, inheritance, changes of ownership, etc. Sure, these things are important, but they're secondary to defining just what the job is that we are trying to perform.

All too often, contracts seem designed to confuse rather than clarify. You say "I'll run a new circuit," while the customer has called you because 'the light doesn't work.' An awful lot of disputes arise when the new circuit is run, but the light still doesn't work.

true dat Reno.....

a good example, probably most common might be being asked if the wiring is 'safe'.

safe being a very relative term, usually only gains perspective with a client's understanding of his/her wiring.

an educated customer privy to options and input being more apt to pay their bills, most of us are caught up repetitively bleating wiring 101.

pursuant to this goal a ditty i wrote to a concerned group after an exploratory in a commercial building>

wiring status>
The (>>>>>>>) building has a new incoming electrical service, it is enough of a service to run the electrical demand there now, lighting, power, appliances. There are about 2 dozen circuits in a 30 circuit panel. Only 1/2 dozen of these are of older varieties, the rest is grounded thermoplastic. As the circuitry branches out, it assumes older methods, especially as seen in the attic & second floor. . In order to better understand the wiring methods incorporated there (representative of every sort since kerosene lighting) , and the need to address each variety the list is as follows. Safety being a relative term, the powers that be will divide all the below into two distinctions, grounded, or ungrounded (the 3rd bare protective grounding conductor being the desired goal)

K&T > Knob & Tubing , single conductors run on individual porcelian stops , no grounding (3rd bare protective wire) conductor

BX > metal jacketed flexible cable, no grounding conductor

Tar & cloth Romex> pre-theromplastic , most without a grounding conductor, some with the lesser undersized grounding conductor

NM Romex- The first thermoplastic wiring method w/ full sized grounding conductor

NM-B - the current thermoplastic w/ full sized grounding conductor

MC cable- the modern BX w/ full sized grounding conductor

EMT - electrical metallic tubing w/ individual conductors (and green grounding conductor)

Apart from the 'electrical' part of the job, we need to specify just who protects the site, who cleans the site, who hauls off the trash, who fixes the holes in the wall, etc.

i would be interested in how this might be worded.....

We need to be clear as to what obstacles we expect to encounter - and which ones are beyond the scope of the work. I mean, what if the simple drywall partition turns out to have a solid concrete and rebar fill?

one word> lead

another word> asbestos

my answer to either on a renovation contract>

open frame wiring runs, or surface mount wiring methods, access to enclosed, concealed , or otherwise not open frame by others

Finally, we need to be explicit as to job scheduling and payment arrangements.

GC's are mostly chronologically challenged, dialing in the season on job is sometimes a feat in itself , as to $$$, how's this sound?>

______down, % paid consummate of % of electrical work completed
~S~