Originally Posted by sparkyinak

In a side note, earlier in this string, I spelled out the difference between the GES and the EGC systems. My intent was only because both systems were talked about in this string. In my personal experience, these two subjects are all too often misunderstood and have confused even good electricians, IMOP, its one of the most important subjects to understand in the trade. Although many of us understand the topic, some don't and with both of them were mentioned, I felt it should be touched on.

Grounding and bonding is just a pet peeve of mine.

well it's the whole theory part of it Sparks, but 250 never really spells it out

as we know, one of the chief GES reasons to exist is supposedly to give lightning a place to go.

so shorter and more direct routes would be appropos

in fact, i've heard it argued that a GEC would be better tied to the noodle at the weatherhead of a service, rather than meter or panel (poco preferenced)

so while i can imagine the AHJ being ok with a shore service GES, and a fat EGC run out to the end of a pier with the feeder & maybe 'bond' the water like pools do now with metal ladders , i can't see the theory end of it being 100% without hiring Lloyd Bridges....

~S~