I haven't had one personally so far but I read about a few.
At school I mostly used high-quality analog meters in lab setups, for a simple reason: they were more likely to be intact since I was the only one who used them! All other students preferred DMMs and frequently fried them. After much hair-pulling with one setup that gave seriously odd voltage readings I started to suspect faulty meters, switched to the old analog stuff - and never turned back! Those were mostly Goerz (Germany) and Norma (Austria) meters, probably from the late 70s or early 80s. The DMMs weren't cheap either, mostly Fluke but apparently most of them were destroyed at some point, resulting in quite weird readings.

In house wiring I use a simple neon tester (either across L-N with the load resistor on, across L-ground without the load or just on the hot, working capacitive like a neon screwdriver or if I want to check for over/undervoltage a cheap DMM. The single pole neon testers do occasionally give false positives, but thankfully I never had a false negative so far, not even on a wooden ladder wearing shoes with rubber soles.