I suppose it should be mentioned that K&T has attracted the wrath of big insurance in recent times

at least here in K&T central, New England

I've been lucky to gain a lotta biz from it all, yet i do get asked the Q "Why is it so bad"? from a few sorts keen to what they feel is Big Insurance simply on another one of their infamous jihads

To be truthful, and only due to K&T being original, no other wiring method has lastest 80-90 years.

If (and it's a slim if) it's left alone, unaltered, in a consistent enviroment, consideration to it's legality (sans life saftey issues) by right of grandfathering every other method's install could be granted

One such situation arose for me in town, an entire 2nd floor of a local inn , all K&T, had been handed a cancelation by their insurance co.

I argued that, if they had no $$$ to insulate, they certainly had no $$$ to buy an electrician, so if all the life safety issues (smokes, gfi's) had been met, what was the problem?

I ended up asking them to ask their insurance co about installing an afci on the circuit in question, they were turned down by the original co, but the next one bit

So i simply replaced the type S fuse with an afci in a two ciruit can. The state inspector went along with it all too, although he (and truthfully i as well) considered it buying time, the burden of the devices efficacy being thrown in the lap of big insurance (as it should be)

and so the old new england electrical ambiance was maintained for posterity , the turnkey switching, the single bulb pendants, for tourism's sake via the mighty afci, faster than a speeding arc, more pwerful than a local ahj, able to leap tall shorts in a single click

~S~

~S~