The electrician is the last to be asked, and then only because the light fixtures are on back order. After the money is all spent on HVAC, woodwork, carpets etc. do they ask about the wiring. Code minimum means that you only need one wall switch in a room regardless of the number of doors and size of the room. I remember the arguement about the receptacle in a hallway. One contractor was losing bids because he included them and they weren't required. The electrical trade has to start selling up their jobs.
The customer needs to decide if they want the bare bones, you won't be happy with this, verses the options that make life comfortable.
I'm still waiting for electricians to get into the maintainence contracts with home owners that the other trades are using. Once or twice a year, test all GFI's AFCI's, smoke detectors, and replace burned out bulbs.
Depending on the size of the house charge for two hours of service work and schedule it for your slow times.
If the devices don't work offer to replace at their special discounted price because they are on the contract.
While you're at it ask the bank why the HVAC guy and the roofing or siding guy can get the bank to finance the project , but won't help a homeowner on the cost of a rewire ?
I appologize for the length, but in a quarter century I haven't seen any change in the way electricians are doing business except to get cheaper and then wonder why they don't make any money.
Sell up or you will always be down.

Alan--
If it was easy, anyone could do it.