Originally Posted by gfretwell
Reno, the problem with splitting this out into 2 120v circuits is small appliance circuits can have no other outlets.
Mike, I suppose you could use a 20a circuit but it seems like overkill. I looked and they do have 3KW tea kettles tho so if you really want to be prepared, go with the 6-20.

210.52(B)(3) does not say the 2x 120V kitchen circuits can have serve other outlets. It permits these circuits to, and I quote:
Originally Posted by NEC 210.52(B)(3)
Kitchen Recpetacle Requirements. Receptacles installed in a kitchen to serve countertop surfaces shall be supplied by not fewer than two small appliance branch circuits, either of both of which shall also be permitted to supply receptacle outlets in the same kitchen and in other rooms specificed in 210.52(B)(1).
210.52 says this section provides requirements for 125V 15-20A circuits, but nowhere does it prohibit supplying 240V receptacles. This is the only code I can think of that would restrict what outlets may be on this circuit, and it explicitely allows additional kitchen receptacles not considered countertop small appliance receptacles to be supplied from the required small appliance recpetacle circuits.

I'm not sure about the reluctance to deviate from North American standards, either; NEC does not restrict us to specific NEMA 240V outlets. Nor does NEC even mandate UL listing. NEC mandates only that items be listed by an organization recognized by the AHJ. This could be UL, MIL-STD, CE, etc. Shouldn't be any issue putting a CE-listed euro style receptacle on the wall as long as the AHJ recognizes CE. Since UL isn't required, there could even be AHJs out there with a grudge against UL who refuse to accept UL-listed stuff... I'd hate to be a contractor in THAT city!

Suggesting that an adapter be used rather defeats the point- if a Schuko or UK plug isn't safe, then an adapter to those plugs wouldn't be safe either. If it's safe- and I see no reason it wouldn't be as safe as a 6-15R- it shouldn't be restricted.