Dawg, that sounds like a classic 60 or 100 amp split-bus fuse panel, likely from the 1940's. Most had one pullout for the range and one for the water heater (the ones at the top). The third one was the lighting section main which controlled power to the lower fuse sockets. I know that these panels are plentiful in the older areas in North Carolina. My grandmother's house had one.

The more modern ones had take-off lugs to allow the feeding of a sub panel when more lighting/appliance circuits were needed behind the lighting main.

GE even made a circuit breaker panel (60's era) that allowed plug-in breakers or plug-in fuse socket modules. These allowed for two circuits per stab on the bus bar. Obviously, they didn't last long.

Square D made modules in their "QO" circuit breaker line that had miniature fuse holders, but they used cartridge-type fuses, not the traditional Edison-base or type S. The last time I saw them "new" and still being installed was in 1978. Those didn't last long either. Why bother?

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."