This has apparently been in effect since April of this year.
The EPA recently announced a temporary extension of the certification requirement to allow more time for firms and individuals to get certified, but they say they are still enforcing the work practice part of the RRP, so technically you can still get fines for not following them.
I don’t know how likely it is that the EPA will have enough enforcement officials in the field anytime soon, but I’m sure they will probably be looking for a few individuals to make examples out of, so as to scare everyone else into compliance.

Here is a link to the RRP.
RRP

I guess it only makes sense that the EPA would add additional regulation during the worst economic recession in the history of the country…. And to the last sector of the construction market that is still alive in many areas, that being residential remodels.
Another thing that baffles me is how they estimate that the average cost per job will only be around $35.00.
I don't see how when you count the HEPA vac, plastic film, masking tape, dust wipes, labor involved for set up, maintaining the site, cleanup at completion and any disposal fees for all the new trash generated, that will no doubt end up in a landfill and in our drinking water supply anyway.
I’ll bet your glad these clowns don’t work in your estimating department.