Originally Posted by twh
A landlord has a commercial building with a demand meter for the entire building. One tenant has a separate, customer owned demand meter, which the landlord is to read and bill the tenant for the tenants usage. The meter is electronic.

How do you read and reset a demand meter?

Another tenant, a tanning salon, wants to install a meter for their own power, too. They don't want to use a demand meter.

Is it worthwhile insisting that the second tenant install a demand meter?

Off topic, the tanning salon had an electrician install current transformers on their feeders. They are donut style with two wires out of each ct. The wires end in a box awaiting connection to a meter. The wires are taped in pairs and the ends aren't visible and may not be shorted. If they aren't shorted, what kind of voltage would be on the wires if the load is a 100 or 200 amps?

I hope those wires are shorted at the CT end..otherwise you could see thousands of volts and the CT's themselves would probably explode! Make absolute sure that those leads are shorted and DO NOT unshort or disconnect them with power on or you could be shocked or worse.

The emon-demon is the most popular add-on demand meter and is a good idea for your application.

As for the electronic meter, there is a button or lever on the cover glass that if pressed/lifted, will scroll the meter display. If total usage was programmed into the access options you can read total demand. However, you can not usually reset the usage from that button/lever. Depends on meter type and who programmed it.

I have a pair of ABB electronic meters that I need to get reprogrammed but so far can't find anyone with software or willing to do it.

Stupid should be painful.