MAD ,Minimum Approach Distance
2-15 kv is 2'1"
15-26 kv is 2'4"
36-46kv is 2'7"
I can go on all the way up to 500 kv.

What you don't know is MAD is how close you can get BEFORE you have take protective meassures, rubber gloves and rubber sleeves or "hot sticks".
I'm not going to start an argument here,BUT UNLESS you have ACTUALLY ever worked on high voltage under ground or overhead lines you are NOT qualified to tell me how it works!I worked distribution voltages up to 21 kv ,rubber gloved,hot stick, in a bucket truck and climbing poles.I have "BARE HANDED"(work on energized) 230 kv out of specially insulated trucks. I spent four years in school and countless hours on the job learning, I currently run a crew of 4 lineman building and repairing power lines,before that I was a JOURNEYMAN ELECTRICIAN,so I speak with some experience!Oh yeah,, I have an electrical engineering degree too.

Mr.Trumby,you must me confused ,I still firmly stand by my claim that "it" WILL NOT, jump out and grab you.A "crazed" drugged out person CAN climb a power pole and get with in an INCH of the energized conductor and NEVER get electrocuted UNLESS he TOUCH'S it.You HAVE to create a path to ground.If you haven't TOUCHED it you haven't created a path.( You could have a bad insulator,which could lead to tracking,which in that case the pole could be hot,whole different discussion)

Your claim of people getting burned from climbing HV( I've climbed plenty to do repairs) towers is partially correct,as you get closer to the energized conductor(wire)you enter a electro magnetic field,if you get partially into that field you will start to feel a charge called "INDUCTION".That comes from the HV "inducing" current onto you,if you have hold of a grounded tower leg,and enter that "FIELD" you have created a "difference" in potential,if that difference gets great enough it will start to burn you ,just like cooking in a microwave.

Like I said I'm NOT here to start any arguments,,,just get the facts right,,,,,,