I just returned from the local home center. Those who hve been following me know that I recently uprooted from Reon, and moved near my folks in St. Louis. Well, as any good parent would do, my folks immediately set upon finding little projects for me at their home ... which led to this AM's visit to the local home center.

I was looking at pricing informations, for various ways to add a switch to some 3-way circuits. I noticed a 'special order' tag by the "14-2-2" bin, and I asked about it. This led to my getting bounced around a few folks, until I wound up at the 'customer services' desk, with their 'electrical' department manager and their 'service desk' manager. At one point, the 'electrical' manager asked me how 14-2-2 was different from 14-2. Harump!

Now, I figured this was a good time to remind them of the chains' announced goal to have licensed trades professionals in their departments, and that I was available laugh I also gently explained what the wire numbers meant ... as the 'service' manager was at that point asking me if #6-4 SOOW would work frown

My point to this is: All of us are facing tight times. All of us have cringed at the home centers and their uneducated staffs. Maybe this is the opportunity we have been waiting for, to step up to the plate and maybe make a difference.
The worst that can happen is for store management to say "no" - in which case we'll KNOW where the blame lies.