I'm an everything contractor- HV, Lighting Control, LV, AV, Sound...can't be too picky these days and it's really easier on a residential job if you can get all the LV going too

Most homes we do the Cat 5e, RG6, Phone, Etc. But, a lot of times we'll get somebody that has future plans for a flatscreen over the fireplace with equipment elsewhere (50+ feet from the flatscreen). There are now solutions to use Cat 5e to send HD video (1080p) to the flatscreen, but they are limited in range and really max out Cat 5e's capacity, especially with the future plans of 2k video at home (2000 Horizontal lines). So we will suggest 10 Gigabit Laser optimized fiber as a "future proof"solution that can also work with current technology. I always run it in flex or smurf so that even that can be pulled out and used for other things. A lot of times we use it for running to a BBQ gazebo or similar for a TV out there too. Given the distances, fiber is the only option to get full HD out there.

I have a few customers that are going to want this built out soon, and am wondering what our options are to terminate this stuff. I've heard there are "contractor friendly" setups where each connector costs more but you can use a simple crimper without the need for $1500 in tools.

For an idea of how you send video etc: http://www.commspecial.com/product/product_list.php?cat=Fiberlink

gfretwell, in CA at least, the telco doesn't care what you do past the demarc point (at least in residential and small to medium commercial). If it's a problem on your side, you have to arrange to fix it. They also offer some over-priced insurance and service plan that makes it their problem.

Chico C10, are you in Chico, CA? I used to live/work there.

Mike