Sparky, I take it that you are -with your reference to the 'hidden hand'- taking exception to my suggesting a common plug design.

exception?....no, not at all Reno, in fact it's a grand example....

I can't say I object, and I am sure things will -eventually- shake out. Until then, the code requirement, and the anticipated increase in safety, is just so much more eyewash.

My point was also that, in this case, the 'hidden hand' has a name attached to it: Advance. That's how dominant they are.

well here we have the onus of safety foisted upon what is sometimes refered to as supply side economics insinuating compliance by proxy

but what real motivation does any manufacturer have in providing it other than a $$$ in their back pocket?

Otherwise, the guy who replaces the ballast has zero input into the purchase of the fixture, let alone the manufacture of it. Sure, the parts house might attempt to offer many different makes of the connectors ... but this isn't likely to accomplish much; if nothing else, as every Chinese plant comes up with it's own design.

yet said guy is held responsible to the extent of fines and loss of work

more $$$ made eh?

perhaps a better anology would have been our wod's? there's nothing quite like the specture of monetary interests to kick the crap out of any altruism....~S~