This instal brings up an issue that I often have with lighting installs: how do YOU do it?

I often see a tail of wire just poking through a hole, into the back of the appliance.

While I like the idea of a box in the wall, there are the challenges of placing that box exactly where it needs to meet the appliance, as well as attaching the appliance to the box.

Otherwise ... as for this particular picture ...
I have such a heater, that came factory equipped with a cord and plug. Certainly preferable to having the cable work its' way through a hole next to the box!

Our code - as ridiculously specific as it can sometimes be - relies upon the clearance requirements that are part of the product listing to ban receptacles over such units. I've posted pictures here of installations where there were receptacles in the block walls about a foot above the heaters - while not a good situation, one would have a hard time documenting a violation.

This is certainly an interesting oversight; the code seems to assume that no one would be so silly as to place a receptacle above a heater at all, and allows for receptacles to be built into the heaters themselves.

Relevant code sections are 210.52 and 424.