As Electure has stated, Electrical installations in California shall conform to the 2007 Version of the CEC (California Electrical Code) - which uses the 2005 NEC as "Model Code" (Articles are either ammended in part, in full, or accepted verbatum per the governing agencies).

2007 CEC, more specifically, Title 24, Part 3, is the default Electrical Code to be enforced by City &/or County Authorities, and local ammendments _Should_ not be applied.

Now to add the "Howevers" to the statement above!!!

Several City DBS (Department of Building & Safety), and a very large County DBS / DPW (Department of Public Works) have their own "Local Preferences", which I include in a Plan Set's Specific notes, and are Field Enforced.
These are not part of CEC, but if Plan Check is to be passed, and rough/final inspections are to be passed, they are applied as if the CEC specifies them!

A few items are:

* Gray colored "Neutrals" for 480Y/277V Multiwire Circuits,

* Specific Color Coding for 208Y/120V and 480Y/277V Circuits,

* No Aluminum Grounding Conductors smaller than #6,

* No Aluminum GECs,

* Hypress Terminations on Aluminum Feeders,

* Insulated Equipment Grounding conductor for any flexible Conduits, regardless of length.

While these are not a problem to implement, and result in a more secure installation, they exceed the default CEC.

As far as Energy Conservation Codes - AKA: Title 24, Part 6 (Interior and Exterior Lighting compliance), which is another "CEC", most every DBS is on the same "page", and designs pass without corrections. (ya, I am bragging!!!)

Once in a while I hear of some mis-interpretation taking place, but that's expected...

Anyhow, that concludes my 2¢ contribution! smile

Scott

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!