I was very lucky in my state inspector job that the guy installing equipment was usually the guy who would have to live with it so we were partners, not adversaries and the inspection process was really more of a consultation than an enforcement. I tried to keep that same attitude when I was working with contractors on the jobs where they didn't have "in house" electricians and managers. I found most contractors really do want to do the right thing since it is their license, reputation and money on the line.
On a state job, the contractor is really the only one you can sue if something goes wrong.
I also had the luxury of time, not something most inspectors have and I really like looking at electrical stuff. I was willing to climb up and look at things a lot of guys would inspect from the ground. Just the fact that they knew I was going to be looking around a while kept people honest. I also made it clear right away that they could call me for an opinion any time they wanted to. I really like to think the inspector and the installers are partners with safety as the ultimate goal.

Greg Fretwell